- The most influential Greek since Alexander the Great? A reappraisal of Spyros P. Skouras
- Art of Ancient Greece, Rome and the Byzantine Empire George D. and Margo Behrakis Wing, Level 2 Opens December at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston
- “Echoes of The Past”: a Movie on the Kalavryta Massacre Perpetrated by the Nazis
- The Hellenic Initiative Raises More Than $2M To Aid Greece At Ninth Annual NYC Gala
- Chaos: A Creative, Hot, Amazing, Outstanding, Supercar
Maryland Greek Independence Day Parade
by Georgia Vavas
Spectators from across the Mid-Atlantic region flocked to Baltimore’s officially designated Greektown to enjoy the Maryland Greek Independence Day Parade honoring our ancestors’ sacrifices to preserve the ideals of Freedom and Democracy. This year marked the 193rd Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, when our forefathers declared independence from almost 400 years of Ottoman Turkish occupation.
Marching groups who participated in the Parade included Greek and American government officials, various Greek Orthodox Church groups, media personalities, children and adults in colorful ethnic Greek costumes, Greek Orthodox clergy, and Baltimore’s own “Evzones” – The Greek Honor Guard.
Among the dignitaries who attended this year’s Parade were Retired U.S. Senator Paul Sarbanes, U.S. Congressman John Sarbanes, Baltimore City Mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Annapolis Mayor, Michael Pantelides, Baltimore City Deputy Mayor, Kaliope Parthemos, Aris Melissaratos, former MD Secretary of Business and Economic Development, Baltimore elected officials and representatives from the Greek and Cypriot Embassies.
This year’s Parade Grand Marshal was the renowned Dr. Constantine Lyketsos, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center’s Chairman, Department of Psychiatry and Director, Memory and Alzheimer’s Treatment Center.
Congratulations to the dedicated Maryland Greek Independence Day Parade Committee for their hard work and leadership in making this year’s event a huge success. For more information, go to www.GreekParade.com.