- Ilias Katsos: the Colossus of …Georgitsi who Built the Colossi of New York
- Madeline Singas Confirmed to New York State Court of Appeals
- Tsakopoulos Hellenic Collection Fellows Researching Fascinating Greek American History
- “Eye Spy” a Moment: Inside the Lens of Photojournalist Tasos Katopodis
- AHEPA Celebrates 99th Anniversary and Greece’s Bicentennial with its Annual Convention in Athens
Venizelos Foundation USA Launched Operations
The Venizelos Foundation, USA recently launched its operations in the United States to honor Greek Statesman Eleftherios Venizelos. The new organization aims to educate, preserve, and promote the research and study of the Greek politician and statesman’s life and work and his impact on Modern Greek history and world affairs. “I am truly excited for this new Foundation here in the US, where we can promote and preserve the history of our great statesman and ethnarch”, said John Manos, President and founding member. “Our National Board has been in discussions the last few years with the Venizelos Foundation in Crete and their Chairman Mr. Niko Papadakis to put forward this effort. We look forward to organizing our events and lectures here in the US in the near future”.
The Venizelos Foundation USA seeks to achieve its mission through activities such as:
- Organizing educational programs, writing informative periodicals, and producing audiovisual material
- Collaborating on research with US universities, as well as with the sister organization, National Research Foundation “Eleftherios K. Venizelos”, located in Chania, Crete, the birthplace of the great statesman
- Assisting in compiling the writings of Eleftherios Venizelos and promoting the publishing of his works
- Awarding prizes for literary works covering relevant areas of interest • Awarding grants for pertinent University-level research
- Organizing conferences, exhibitions, and lectures in the United States The Venizelos Foundation USA will be operating in lockstep with its sister organization, the National Research Foundation “Eleftherios K. Venizelos”, which since March 2000 has been collecting and organizing archives, conducting conferences, publishing books and periodicals, cooperating with Greek and foreign universities and research institutions and running the Eleftherios Venizelos Residence Museum in Chalepa, Chania, Crete.
Eleftherios Kyriakou Venizelos (Ελευθέριος Κυριάκου Βενιζέλος, 11 August] 1864 – 18 March 1936) was a statesman and a prominent leader of the Greek national liberation movement. He is noted for his contribution to the expansion of Greece and promotion of liberal-democratic policies.[As leader of the Liberal Party, he was elected eight times as Prime Minister of Greece, serving from 1910 to 1920 and from 1928 to 1933. Venizelos had such profound influence on the internal and external affairs of Greece that he is credited with being “the maker of modern Greece” and is still widely known as the “Ethnarch” (roughly translated “Nation’s Leader”).
The Venizelos Foundation USA will seek to further its Greek counterpart’s mission in the United States. It is comprised of a volunteer board sharing a passion for the life and work of the Greek statesman Eleftherios Venizelos.