- From Tosca to La Boheme to Madama Butterfly, Soprano Eleni Calenos Scales the Heights of the Opera Repertoire
- Pappas, Sarbanes, Bilirakis Introduce “OXI Day” Resolution
- Master Blender Nicholas Syris, Founder of LH Premium Cigars and Lounges: “The cigar is the great equalizer”!
- Hellenic Classical Charter School – Park Slope (HCCS-PS) recognized as National Blue Ribbon School
- Reigniting Hellenic Spirit: Kazantzakis Literary Symposium
American Women’s Organization of Greece Celebrates 70th Anniversary
By Margarita Vartholomeou
The 70th Anniversary of the the American Women’s Organization of Greece (AWOG) was celebrated recently at the residence of the United States Ambassador to Greece Geoffrey R. Payatt.
The organization was founded in 1948 and it’s a non-for-profit volunteer women’s group that is actively supporting charities in Greece. The AWOG is also working together with the Greek community in fundraising and organising educational, cultural and social events.
Addressing the event, Ambassador Payatt pointed out that AWOG is one of the oldest women’s organizations in Greece that has helped newcomers adjust to life in their own homes in Greece through cultural and educational events mostly. He continued by saying that the most respectful tradition of AWOG is of giving back to the connunity. The work of the organization with groups such as Pikpa and Caritas has shown that essential help has been provided to the Greek families in need.
The participation of AWOG in programs like the Susan G.Komen Race for the Cure USA is a reflection of the American tradition of service and giving back.
Besides the two governments working together and doing great things, the American Ambassador also stressed the importance of the people to people ties that are the foundation of the bilateral relationship with Greece.
Mrs Mary Payatt is the Honorary President of the AWOG.
AWOG President Bessie Sioutas-Vasilopoulou thanked the ambassador for the hospitality and his nice works and also thanked her board and members for their hard work and dedication.