- From Tosca to La Boheme to Madama Butterfly, Soprano Eleni Calenos Scales the Heights of the Opera Repertoire
- Pappas, Sarbanes, Bilirakis Introduce “OXI Day” Resolution
- Master Blender Nicholas Syris, Founder of LH Premium Cigars and Lounges: “The cigar is the great equalizer”!
- Hellenic Classical Charter School – Park Slope (HCCS-PS) recognized as National Blue Ribbon School
- Reigniting Hellenic Spirit: Kazantzakis Literary Symposium
Greek Parade in New York – A Memorable Event
In a cloudy day that held the rain until the very end, thousands of Greek Americans and friends of the community filled New York’s 5th Avenue to celebrate this year’s Greek Independence Day and to honor the rich cultural heritage of Hellenism. A Greek parade …veteran, US Senator Charles Schumer with US Ambassador to Norway George Tsounis were the Grand Marshals, rousing cheers and enthusiasm at every step. The celebration marked 193 years since the struggle for independence from the Ottoman Empire started in 1821. Newly elected Bill De Blasio marched as well, in his first Greek parade as mayor, greeting friends and well wishers. As the tradition has it, a contingent of colorfully uniformed Evzones of the Greek Presidential Guard led the way, followed by the dignitaries. Chairman of this year’s Greek Parade was Mr. Petros Galatoulas, a Federation long timer.
Archbishop Demetrios marching with the Grand Marshals, Senator Charles Schumer (4th from right) and Ambassador George Tsounis (2nd from right), the Federation President Elias Tsekerides (4th from left), the Parade Chairman Petros Galatoulas (1st from right) and Mr. & Mrs Psaras (left); PHOTO: ETA PRESS
The event attracted a vast number of New York marchers and participants and it was the culmination of a month long celebration of Greek heritage, hosted and organized by the Federation of Hellenic Societies of Greater New York that represents a large number of Greek societies, fraternities and local organizations. Founded in 1937, the Federation is one of the largest and oldest Greek organizations in America.