- From Tosca to La Boheme to Madama Butterfly, Soprano Eleni Calenos Scales the Heights of the Opera Repertoire
- Pappas, Sarbanes, Bilirakis Introduce “OXI Day” Resolution
- Master Blender Nicholas Syris, Founder of LH Premium Cigars and Lounges: “The cigar is the great equalizer”!
- Hellenic Classical Charter School – Park Slope (HCCS-PS) recognized as National Blue Ribbon School
- Reigniting Hellenic Spirit: Kazantzakis Literary Symposium
40 Years of Occupation and Division in Cyprus – No More!
By Philip Christopher
It is unbelievable that the biggest injustice in the world has been allowed to stand for forty years!
This coming July 2014, we will be commemorating the 40th anniversary of the brutal tragic invasion of the Republic of Cyprus by Turkey. The Republic of Cyprus, a member of the European Union, has 38% of its land occupied by Turkish troops. Almost 200,000 Cypriot citizens are refugees in their own country.
During the past 40 years, Turkey has systematically changed the demographics of the Island by importing more than 400,000 settlers, destroying more than 200 Greek Orthodox Churches, changed the names of entire villages, towns and streets and also by illegally confiscating the property of European citizens, but yet Europe and our own country, the United States of America, has allowed this criminal act to stand. Even though only turkey has recognized the illegal entity of the TRNC, the Republic of Cyprus is still fighting to reunite the country.
We invite all of you to schedule major activities that will bring attention to this great injustice.
- Contact your local Congressman and Senator
- Place an ad in your local newspaper “40 years is long enough!”
- Organize a demonstration outside of the Turkish Consulate or Turkish Embassy.
- Deliver a resolution from your association to your local government.
- Initiate a letter or e-mail campaign.
- Organize memorial services on Sunday, July 20th.
- Cultural events to bring attention to the tragedy of July 20th.
PSEKA in the United States, in coordination with the Cyprus Federation of America, the National Council, AHEPA, AHI, HALC, AJC and all other freedom-loving and human rights organizations invites you to attend the annual PSEKA Cyprus Conference in Washington, DC. Dates – July 8 – 10, 2014.
This year’s conference will culminate with a demonstration/protest on the steps of our Capital Building which symbolizes freedom, democratic values and human rights. We, as American citizens of Greek descent, have a double obligation because we come from the birthplace of democracy and are citizens of the greatest democracy in the world.
Please save the dates!Philip Christopher is President of PSEKA (International Coordinating Committee – “Justice for Cyprus”)