- Learning and Mentoring Never Stops with Educator Angelo Pappas
- “Cliffs of Freedom”: A Historical Drama Set in Greece, Blending Ageless Themes of Hope, Love and Sacrifice
- Alabama’s Alex Gulas: a Pioneer for Racial Justice
- Fordham Honors Solon P. Patterson and Marianna R. Patterson
- Dr. George Handjinicolaou HABA’s Executive of the Year 2019
DC Area Greek-Americans Raise Money to Help Children in Greece
Even before the recent front page New York Times article titled “More Children in Greece are Going Hungry,” Greek-Americans in the DC-Metro area joined together to raise over $30,000 to assist needy children in Greece. This fundraiser, at which Andy Manatos was honored for his over 40 years of service to Hellenism and Orthodoxy, benefited The Smile of a Child (Hamogelo tou Paidiou), a nonprofit organization which provides assistance to needy children in Greece.
Former United States Senator Paul Sarbanes and US Ambassador to Greece Christos Panagopoulos presented the award to Manatos and made remarks. As well, Greek Orthodox Archbishop of America, His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios, made remarks via video, congratulating Manatos on the honor. Also in attendance from the Obama Administration was US Ambassador-at-large for International Religious Freedom, Dr. Suzan Johnson Cook. The mistress of ceremonies was Fox 5 News DC Anchor Laura Evans.
This luncheon in Bethesda, Maryland was organized by Dr. Michael Datch and a committee of Greek-Americans from the area. For more information about The Smile of a Child, you can visit hamogelo.gr.